I enjoy creating new recipes from traditional favorites. In this variation on the classic carrot cake recipe grated carrots are combined with fresh blueberries and pecans to deliver a delectable and moist but not too sweet bundt cake. A light cream cheese glaze is used in place of the traditional high sugar high fat frosting. Carrot Blueberry and Pecan Bundt Cake with a Cream Cheese Glaze is my new favorite bundt cake recipe.
Carrot Blueberry Pecan Bundt Cake
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick) at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose white flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (plus additional pecans for sprinkling on top)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using a non-stick baking spray, coat a 6-cup bundt pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer on medium high speed, beat unsalted butter, canola oil, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add maple syrup and continue to mix well.
- On medium speed add eggs one at a time mixing just until yolk disappears. Add orange zest, vanilla extract, and mix well.
- On slow speed of standing or hand-held mixer, add the flour and buttermilk alternately to the batter beginning and ending with flour in 3 additions.
- With a spatula mix in the grated carrots.
- Gently fold in blueberries and chopped pecans.
- Pour and spread cake batter evenly into the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or cake is lightly brown and springs back.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Gently remove cake from pan by placing cake up side down on a cooling rack. Continue to cool thoroughly before glazing.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoon cream cheese softened
Whisk together softened cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Gradually add 1 tablespoon milk or cream. Drizzle glaze over cooled cake. Top with chopped pecans.