California Chicken and Avocado Puff Pastry Flat Bread
This recipe is inspired by our recent trip to Newport Beach on the beautiful southern coast of California. California is the largest producer of Hass avocados in the United States. Avocados are super nutritious, rich in potassium, magnesium, vitamin E and K, and fiber. They contain heart-healthy fats helping to lower harmful LDL cholesterol while increasing heart protecting HDL cholesterol. Avocados have many health benefits helping to absorb nutrients especially fat soluble vitamins (A,D, E, and K) from plant foods and antioxidants important in eye health and cancer prevention. Avocados have a mild flavor and a creamy texture that can be added to many recipes including main entrees, side dishes, salads, sauces, and desserts. A light puffy pastry crust provides the base for this flat bread recipe that includes a list of healthy ingredients, fresh avocado and avocado cream.
- 5-6 ounces of skinless, boneless baked or grilled chicken breast sliced into 1/4 inch pieces.
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry dough thawed at room temperature for 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Dried Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 avocado cut into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
- Avocado Cream (recipe to follow)
- Balsamic glaze
- Freshly chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Gently roll out thawed pastry sheet to approximately 10 inches by 12 inches.
- With a pastry brush spread extra virgin olive oil evenly over pastry sheet. Lightly sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese and top with cooked chicken pieces.
- Place on center rack of oven and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned and cheese has melted. Make the Avocado Cream while the pizza is baking.
- Remove from oven. Top with avocado pieces and chopped cherry tomatoes. Spoon small amounts of avocado cream over pizza and drizzle with the balsamic glaze. Garnish with fresh cilantro. Cut into individual servings.
- 1/2 of a whole avocado
- 1 clove garlic peeled and chopped
- 1/8 cup fresh cilantro leaves chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor, blend to a smooth consistency. Add water to thin as desired. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to use.