In this healthy updated version of a chicken enchilada casserole, I made a homemade cream sauce and added spinach which boosted the nutrition while still keeping the comforting taste of the original recipe. Making a homemade white sauce is easy and much healthier than typical store-bought white sauces that are high in sodium and processed ingredients. This white sauce uses a “roux” as the foundation and thickener for the sauce. A “roux” consists of equal amounts of fat (butter) and flour. It is a classic cooking technique to make sauces, gravies, and soups.
Chicken and Spinach Enchilada Casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1 -4oz can of mild chiles
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 10 ounce package frozen spinach thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 15 (6inch) flour tortillas cut in half
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 whole avocado
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Coat a 9 inch by 13 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- Begin by making the white sauce. In a sauce pan heat the butter over medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and using a whisk stir until smooth and the roux begins to thicken and bubble.
- Gradually add one cup of the chicken broth and continue to whisk until blended well. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add remaining chicken broth , green chiles, and cumin. Continue to stir and simmer until slightly thickened for 2-3 minutes. Add the Greek yogurt or sour cream and mix well.
- Reserve one third of the sauce. To the remaining sauce add the drained spinach and mix well.
- Assemble Enchilada Casserole, by first layering 10 flour tortillas halves evenly on the bottom of your casserole pan. Next layer 1/2 of the spinach sauce , then 1/2 of the shredded chicken, and sprinkle with 1/3 of the shredded cheese. Repeat the layers and top with the reserved sauce and remaining 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for additional 15 minutes until lightly brown.
- Garnish with chopped avocado and cilantro.