These mini fruit tarts may look fancy but are easy to make and healthy to.
The gluten-free tart crust has a light buttery taste and a delicate crumb texture that is similar to a shortbread cookie. Instead of a high fat creamy filling I used a dark chocolate ganache as a base for my raspberries. Different fruits can be substituted such as strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and mandarin oranges. These mini fruit tarts are the perfect portion size and very diet friendly.
Almond flour is a healthy gluten-free baking alternative to processed wheat flour. It is carbohydrate friendly and more nutritious than traditional wheat flour. Almond flour is a good source of fiber, heart- healthy mono-unsaturated fats, vitamin E, B vitamins, iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, and phosphorus.
Chocolate Ganache Mini Fruit Tarts
- 1 1/2 cups super-fine almond flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter chilled and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a small bowl whisk egg yolk, cream, and vanilla together.
- In a food processor mix almond flour and powdered sugar until combined. Scatter butter pieces over the top and pulse until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal, about 15 pulses.
- With the food processor running, add the egg mixture through the feed tube and continue to process until the dough just comes together around the processor blade, about 12 seconds.
- Turn the dough onto a sheet of parchment paper fold over and flatten into a 6 inch disk. Wrap tightly and refrigerate for 1 hour. Before rolling the dough out, let sit on a counter to soften slightly, about 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough to a 1/4 inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter approximately the diameter of a muffin cup to make the mini tart crusts. Place each mini tart crust in a muffin tin lined with paper cupcake liners, making approximately 14 tarts. Chill tart dough for approximately 20 minutes. This is a good time to preheat your oven.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake tarts for 20 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and make the Chocolate Ganache.
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Warm cream in a microwave or stove top just enough to melt chocolate. Mix well and drop by a level teaspoon evenly on to cooled tart shells. If desired tarts can now be frozen and topped later with fruit and seedless strawberry jam.
Top with raspberries. Melt seedless strawberry jam and with a pastry brush lightly spread over the raspberries.