It’s fall and that means its time for pumpkin recipes. Fortunately pumpkins are super nutritious and offer many benefits:
- Pumpkin seeds also known as pepitas contain many valuable nutrients and micronutrients including protein, healthy fats (polyunsaturated and mono-unsaturated fatty acids), fiber, magnesium, potassium, iron, and zinc. Pumpkin seeds can be roasted and served as a snack, in granola, or added to salads and baked goods.
- Pumpkin is an excellent source of beta-carotene, a powerful antioxidant that is converted to vitamin A in the body and can help to reduce the risk of cancer and heart disease, delay aging and improve eye health.
- Pumpkin puree or canned pumpkin is best known in pies and bread but can be used in place of butter or oil in baked recipes. Just be careful not to use pumpkin pie mix as it may contain added sugars.
Pumpkin Bread with Oatmeal Streusel Topping
- 3 cups flour sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 (15oz) canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup raw shelled (green) unsalted pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. lightly spray two 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 loaf pans with cooking spray.
Prepare Streusel Topping. In a small bowl mix the flour, oat meal, brown and white sugars, and ground cinnamon. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or fork until topping resembles coarse crumbs. Toss in raw pepitas. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice together. Set aside.
In a medium size bowl, with a wire whisk, lightly beat eggs. Add the white sugar, oil, maple syrup, Greek yogurt, and vanilla and mix well. Stir in canned pumpkin until evenly incorporated.
Gently add wet ingredients to flour mixture. Spoon into greased loaf pans.
Sprinkle with streusel topping. Bake 45 to 48 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaves comes out clean. Cool in loaf pans 20 minutes before removing.
Decorate with powdered sugar.