Homemade muffins are easy to make and can be healthy and so much more nutritious than store bought muffins. There are endless possibilities of muffins you can make.
5 Tips to Making Healthier Muffins
- Reduce the sugar by 25% in your muffin recipe and use natural sweeteners such as bananas, applesauce, or maple syrup for part of the sugar.
- Replace butter with a healthy oil such as canola oil, and reduce fats by adding applesauce, pumpkin or prune puree.
- Replace 1/3 to ½ of white flour with whole wheat pastry flour. For every one cup white flour use ¾ cup of whole wheat pastry flour.
- To increase nutrient value, add healthy additions such as fruit, nuts, seeds, flaxseed and wheat germ.
- Skip heavy sugar sweetened frostings for a light glaze or a topping made of nuts and seeds.
Zucchini and applesauce provide the moistness in these healthy muffins. They are naturally sweetened with maple syrup. Serve with breakfast, as a snack, or a dessert.
Zucchini and Carrot Muffins with a Maple Glaze
- 1 ½ cup shredded zucchini
- 1 ½ cup shredded carrots
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups white flour sifted
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
maple glaze: 1/3 cup powdered sugar; 1 tablespoons maple syrup; ½ to 1 teaspoon milk
In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl mix sugar, eggs, maple syrup, canola oil, applesauce, and vanilla. Gently mix into dry ingredients just until combined. Fold in shredded carrots and zucchini. Add walnuts. Lightly spray a muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray or use paper lined muffin cups to prevent sticking. Divide muffin batter evenly to make 18 muffins.
Bake at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack. Allow to cool completely before glazing.
Blend maple glaze ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over cooled muffins.