Marble Spice Bundt Cake
Happiness for me is creating a new bundt cake recipe. This marble cake combines a rich dark chocolate layer with a spiced butter cake layer. Unsweetened applesauce adds moistness and reduces the need for added sugar. Adding warm spices of ground cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and allspice complements this updated version of a traditional marble cake recipe.
- This cake recipe uses classic baking techniques. Using the exact ingredients and following each step in order as listed in the recipe will result in the best tasting cake.
- Most of my bundt cake recipes use a 6 cup bundt cake pan. This cake can also be made in a molded loaf pan. You can alternate the chocolate and butter cake layers to your design preference.
- Suggested equipment: flour sifter, stand-up electric mixer, whisks, long handle spatula, a double boiler pot or a small handle pot with a heat resistant glass bowl, cooling rack, and a 6 cup bundt cake or loaf pan (I like the Nordic brand of pans).
Marble Spice Bundt Cake
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil (1/4 cup canola oil may be substituted)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 ounces unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 cup or 2 ounces of dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup half and half cream
- 2 teaspoons of instant espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 6 cup bundt cake pan with baking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and all-spice. Set aside.
- Prepare chocolate layer. Using a double boiler or fill a small pot 1/2 way with water, and then set a larger glass bowl on top. Add dark chocolate, cream, and espresso powder and stir together. Set stove top burner to low and slowly melt chocolate stirring often. Allow the chocolate mixture to cool slightly and whisk in the unsweetened cocoa powder. Set aside to cool.
- On medium speed with an electric or standup mixer first beat the butter for 30 seconds then gradually add the granulated sugar and continue beating until smooth. Add grape seed oil and maple syrup, continue to beat until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- To the cake batter add vanilla extract , then eggs one at a time blending well between each addition.
- Add unsweetened applesauce and blend until evenly distributed.
- On slow speed of electric mixer gradually add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, starting and ending with flour mixture in 3 additions.
- In a separate bowl combine 1/2 of the cake batter with the reserved chocolate mixture.
- Alternately spoon chocolate and butter cake batter evenly into the bundt pan. Place on center rack of oven, bake for 35 to 38 minutes or until cake lightly springs back. Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack.