Flowers are in bloom and it is the season for strawberries and rhubarb. In this recipe for Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake I used organic ingredients. Organic foods are grown or produced without the use of synthetic fertilizers or pesticides, genetically modified organisms, sewage sludge, or ionizing radiation. Organic meat, poultry, eggs, and dairy products come from animals that are pasture- raised or in their natural environment, fed 100% organic feed without antibiotics or growth hormones.
Organic foods have more nutritional value, are safer for the environment and animals, and have a better quality and taste. Organic strawberries are grown with fewer pesticides and chemicals than conventional strawberries. Organic eggs contain beneficial omega- 3 rich grains and flaxseeds. Grass-fed cows produce dairy products with fewer toxins and have more nutrients compared with those cows fed corn, soy, and other grains. Organic dairy products have a higher ratio of healthy omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids compared to conventional dairy products. Organic dairy foods also have higher levels of the micronutrients carotene, vitamin A, and CLA. CLA or conjugated linoleic acid helps to strengthen our immune system, and prevent cancer, premature aging, and heart disease.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bundt Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter softened or at room temperature
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- 1 cup fresh strawberries cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cup chopped fresh rhubarb cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
For this recipe I used organic flour, butter, eggs, half and half cream, sour cream, lemon, strawberries and rhubarb.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour a 12 cup bundt pan. I like to use a non-stick baking spray.
For the best results have all ingredients at or near room temperature.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- In another bowl combine the chopped strawberries and rhubarb with the cinnamon and sugar.
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer in a larger bowl on high speed beat oil, unsalted butter, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy for about 4 minutes.
- On medium speed add eggs one at a time mixing just until the yolk disappears. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together sour cream with 1/2 and 1/2 cream.
- On slow speed of stand or hand-held mixer, add the flour and sour cream mixture separately to the batter beginning and ending with flour in 3 additions.
- Spoon one third of the batter evenly into the bottom of the prepared bundt pan, and then layer 1/2 of the strawberry and rhubarb mixture. Repeat layers ending with a final layer of cake batter.
- Bake 45-48 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or cake is lightly brown and springs back.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 20 minutes. Gently remove cake from pan by placing cake up side down on a cooling rack.