A typical winter day in Wisconsin means snowy and cold. For me it was the perfect day to create another new bundt cake recipe. I think the bundt cake has to be my most favorite baking obsession. There are so many creative combinations of flavors and ingredients and they are so much fun to decorate to. In my bundt cake recipes I like to use a combination of butter and oil, and natural ingredients and flavors to sweetened rather than large amounts of sugar. This recipe gave me the chance to try out my new 6 cup Nordic bundt pan.
Lemon, Zucchini, and Almond Bundt Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 cup sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup finely shredded fresh zucchini
- 1/2 cup fine powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
mix all ingredients together until smooth
1/4 cup sliced almonds
Lemon Sugar Topping
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
mix together and let sit for 5 minutes
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and flour a 6 cup bundt pan. I like to use a non-stick baking spray.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Using a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer in a larger bowl on high speed beat oil, unsalted butter, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. On medium speed add eggs one at a time mix just until yolk disappears. Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and almond extract, and mix well.
- In a separate small bowl whisk together sour cream or yogurt with milk.
- On slow speed of standing or hand-held mixer, add the flour and sour cream mixture separately to the batter beginning and ending with flour in 3 additions.
- With a spatula fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Pour and spread cake batter evenly into the bundt pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or cake is lightly brown and springs back.
- Allow cake to cool in pan for 15 minutes. Gently remove cake from pan by placing cake up side down on a cooling rack. Continue to cool thoroughly before glazing.
- Drizzle with lemon glaze and decorate with sliced almonds. Sprinkle with lemon sugar topping.