This banana bread is quick and easy to make and is low in unhealthy fats and sugar and has all the flavor and moistness of traditional banana bread.
To bake a better banana bread
- Choose very ripe bananas. The more ripe the bananas the more naturally sweet and flavorful your bread will be.
- Replace butter and oils with healthier options such as yogurt or sour cream to add flavor and moistness to a quick bread
- Reduce the amount of sugar in your recipe by 1/4 to 1/2 and use natural sugars such as maple syrup or honey.
- Very gently mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients. Do not over mix the batter. This will make your banana bread more tough and dry.
- Be careful not to over bake or under bake your bread. Bake until the outside is golden brown and the dough is just set to the touch. Insert a toothpick in the center of your bread, it is done when it comes out clean or with a few soft crumbs.
Even Better Banana Bread
1 ¾ cup white organic flour sifted
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
½ cup plain 2% Greek yogurt
1 ½ teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
1/3 cup coconut oil melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup mashed ripened banana (2-3 medium bananas)
½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
pre-heat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit
lightly spray a 9 by 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray
In a large bowl mix flour, baking powder, and cinnamon together.
In a medium bowl lightly beat eggs with a whisk, then in order mix in yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla, coconut oil and then sugar. Fold in mashed bananas.
Make a well in the flour mixture and gently add banana mixture, mix just until combined and flour starts to disappear. Add walnuts.
Pour into prepared loaf pan. Bake 55 to 60 minutes until lightly brown and set. Test for doneness at about 50 minutes.
Cool in loaf pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes before removing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Dust with powdered sugar if desired.